Words Fitly Spoken...

"Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God."

Jim Eliot, Missionary to Ecuador

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Humphrey Fire Department 2010


Saturday, January 9, 2010

Today my wife and I had the privilege of attending the annual Recognition and Swearing in Ceremony at the Humphrey Fire Hall. I was asked to give the invocation. I expressed my appreciation on behalf of the community to the firemen for their dedication. It is a volunteer department. I also took a shot at the Chief with a funny joke! He was very gracious to me. My wife and I sat with him along with an area Pastor. I then led in prayer for the food in which I ended "...in Jesus Name."

It was a blessing to get to know some of the community and I hope we made a good impression for the Lord's sake.



Katie and I posed for a picture with Senator Cathrine Young from our district. I was very impressed when she mailed us a letter welcoming us to the area, and she didn't disappoint me in person. It was a blessing to meet her.

This year marks the 40th Anniversay of the Department. Mr. Halladay pictured here with his wife (sister of Don Potter - member of HBC) spoke a word of testimony. It was he and Don Potter who helped put up the trusses 40 years ago!



The Fire Chief allowed me to have a picture with him. He had recently fallen on the ice and broke his leg.




There were around 70 folks who attended.
I think that's about all of them.




We had a wonderful spread of food. The afternoon began with delicious appetizers followed by your choice of steak, stuffed pork chop, or veggie lasagna. As you can guess, I chose... One of each - just kidding! I enjoyed a delicious steak!






Jude 1:21-23 "Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh."
I read the preceding verses to the people gathered there and compared the church to a fire department. They save folks from a physical fire while we strive to save souls from a spiritual fire! They seemed to enjoy my brief words. Later a few came to me and assured me that I had done well.
I want to thank Autumn Burrell for giving us her afternoon to watch our boys so we could be able to attend the event! God bless her.

No comments:

Post a Comment